Jan 23 2008

Bathrooms, Blogs and Sister-in-Laws

Published by at 5:27 pm under social media

Sometimes I think the rest of my family believes I’m this crazy alien who lives an odd, online life. My son used to tell Skip to the Loohis friends I my job was to overthrow small countries. It was easier than explaining what I do. So it was with joy to see my sister in law, Linda Wright, take the plunge and create an online adjunct to her new book, Skip to the Loo| Build Business with Better Bathrooms.

Wait, you say… better bathrooms build business? Well if you are a retail business with female customers, Linda has made the case that yes, it does. And she has written a readable, full-of-practical-suggestions book that you can pick up today and create results tomorrow. You can buy it here.

Linda (with the help, I understand, of my bro, Randy) have created a companion site with a blog, pictures of “stalls of fame and shame,” “potty talk” discussions, downloads of tools offered in the book, as well as information about Linda and the book. It is pretty sweet! (It looks like Drupal. Am I right?)

As is my practice, I welcome Linda to the Blogosphere. I’m going to tickle a few of my blog friends who might find Linda’s work of interest. Christopher Carfi do ya appreciate Linda’s focus on customer relationships? Toby Bloomberg at Diva Marketing, what do you think from the “marketing to women” perspective? Elana, there has to be a humor angle here?

6 Responses to “Bathrooms, Blogs and Sister-in-Laws”

1. Randyon 23 Jan 2008 at 8:28 pm

Yup.

2. Tobyon 23 Jan 2008 at 8:50 pm

Nancy – i thought your job was to bring social media to the world .. which is over throwing large and small countries đŸ˜‰

Congrats! to Linda for stepping into social media. I think that bathrooms matter in a retail setting. Just this week I saw 2 young moms feeding their babies in the bathroom lounge area of a major department store.

3. Tobyon 23 Jan 2008 at 8:54 pm

oops .. hit submit too soon. First very few bathrooms have those little sitting areas and second, I would think that the 2 moms would be more likely to think kindly of the store and turn into customers. So much more convenient to feed baby and shop in one stop.

4. christopher carfion 25 Jan 2008 at 3:00 pm

linda…welcome!

i’m a bit divided in my thinking on this. on one hand, i definitely think that having buzz-worthy facilities can be a differentiator. on the other hand, i wonder what percentage of individuals regularly interact with that aspect of an establishment vs. the “front of store” areas?

that said…for some groups (perhaps those with kids, for example), i could see how this could be a notable area on which to focus.

best of luck in the new endeavor!

-cfc

5. Randyon 26 Jan 2008 at 10:56 pm

Christopher,

The evidence suggests roughly 50%. As a guy, it doesn’t make any sense to me. But after asking a bunch of women, its clear that there is another point of view. Try asking some women in your market area if they can name a few good restrooms in the area. I’ll bet they can, and that there will be some commonality among the restrooms they name.

On behalf of Linda, thank you for the welcome!

Randy

6. Lindaon 27 Jan 2008 at 11:03 pm

Thank you, Christopher. I’m happy to be here!

Ten percent of building guests will visit the restroom — a significant number to impress for a cost that is pennies compared to media advertising. A special restroom will reinforce perceptions of quality and demonstrate care . . . leading to loyalty. It is win-win: good for customers and good for business. I’m not talking about a major remodel . . . just some decor, inexpensive amenities (pretty paint, pictures on the wall, flowers, a chair, a nice baby changing table instead of a plastic one), conscientious maintenance (a feminine dispenser than isn’t empty or broken) and using staff to monitor it during business hours.

This marketing effort is definitely aimed at women, so you must be able to think like a woman to get it, or ask some of the women in your life what a good (or bad) store restroom means to them. In the case of my husband, who doesn’t give a second thought to restrooms, this was the astonishing factor (and the message I am trying to convey). Women absolutely will choose one store over another based on restroom quality. They will return again and again . . . and purchase. They will tell friends. They will avoid or ban stores— or restaurants— with a bad restroom. You may wish to keep an eye on my restroom poll and stories at skiptotheloo.com.