Aug 30 2008

Tracking Hurricane Gustav on Social Media

Published by at 3:24 pm under events,social media

Taking a quick break from gardening and checked Twitter. I saw a lot of tweets around how people are using social media to track Hurricane Gustav and prepare to react to needs generated around the storm. Here are a few (Updated Sunday Aug 31, 4pm PDT, 6:20 pdt, 7:40 pm PDT, Updated September 1 9:35am):

• And finally, a quick screen grab on Twitter as an example of the activity

Gustav and Social Media

11 Responses to “Tracking Hurricane Gustav on Social Media”

1. Ken Allanon 30 Aug 2008 at 11:54 pm

Kia ora Nancy!

Gustav! Hmmm.

I learnt about this demon on this morning’s radio-news. But in all fairness to our technology, what a wonderful contribution it can make/is making to the safety and wellbeing of humankind.

I/we can only wait, watch and listen from New Zealand. I hope that the forward action, made possible by our technologies, can save children and families in ways not possible before this century.

Ka kite anō
    from Middle-earth

2. GraceDon 31 Aug 2008 at 9:18 am

Go, Nancy! Am thinking of reactivating the Katrina Direct Relief Blog. Hmmmmm….

xo Grace

3. Nancy Whiteon 31 Aug 2008 at 10:41 am

Ken, this is my hope as well.

Grace, if you do, you know who you can call on to help!!

4. […] Michel Bauwens: Full Circle Associates ” Tracking Hurricane Gustav on Social Media (via delici… […]

5. Connie Bensenon 31 Aug 2008 at 3:26 pm

Hey Nancy,
    Thanks for taking that screenshot & putting it on Flickr.
    I just used it in my post. (I didn’t know Andy Carvin at the time).

thanks for the great list too!
    Connie

6. Nancy Whiteon 31 Aug 2008 at 3:33 pm

You are welcome, Connie! I also just updated the links rather than start a new post. Glad you have e-met Andy. He’s pretty amazing!

7. […] quote. Now take it in the context of how people are using social media in disaster preparedness and response with Gustav. Same pattern, […]

8. Andrewon 31 Aug 2008 at 4:11 pm

http://www.gregledet.net/hurricam/hurricam.html You’re missing a pretty important one.

9. Nancy Whiteon 31 Aug 2008 at 5:23 pm

I’ve added it Andrew. Thanks. Anyone else who has suggestions, I’ll edit them into the post to keep one full list (rather than multiple posts).

10. Shafqaton 01 Sep 2008 at 9:19 am

Great post Nancy – its important people find the information they’re looking for! All our thoughts and prayers with the brave people of the Gulf Coast.

BTW, another link to add to your list: http://www.newscred.com/hurricane-gustav

11. […] for a pretty impressive list of all the vehicles set up for Gustav, see Nancy White’s Tracking Hurrican Gustav on Social Media blog […]