Sep 24 2008

A huge sigh of relief – a title

Warning – this is a venting blog post!

For nearly four years my dear friends and colleagues John Smith and Etienne Wenger and I have been writing this thing that became a book. You’ve heard me periodically obsessing about it here in my blog. Writing communally is one of the hardest and most rewarding practices I’ve ever done, especially when done with smart, diverse people. It is both heaven and hell. It is almost unending. But the end is in site.

We finally picked a title. FINALLY. FINAL-FRICKEN-TASTICALLY. What started out as Stewarding Technology for Communities, (site to be renamed today!), then veering around many ideas, including the recent “Digital Nests” theme, we landed today on something that both brought the warmth and natural world and a metaphor that works with the topic of the book.

So drum roll pleasssseeeee!

“Digital Habitats: stewarding technology for communities”

Now, I dare ask, what do you think?

I could not resist searching for a few Flickr creative commons images for the post … not intended as book images, but just … just… because I CAN!

Haworthia viscosa in habitat

Haworthia viscosa in habitat

Linda Lanes Habitat

Linda Lane's Habitat

Flickr Creative Commons Photo Credits:

8 Responses to “A huge sigh of relief – a title”

1. Sue Wolffon 24 Sep 2008 at 6:23 pm

YES, YES, YES! You’ve captured something. I LOVE IT! That really works. So exciting. Congratulations!

2. carla arenaon 25 Sep 2008 at 5:25 am

Dear Nancy,

I loved “Digital Habitats”. It involves the idea of things connected, warmth, ecosystem, reliance on others, feeding.

Great!

3. Lynn Tveskovon 25 Sep 2008 at 6:18 am

Perfect! Congratulations, and can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!

4. Steve Bridgeron 25 Sep 2008 at 8:30 pm

I like it a lot, Nancy. A lot.

It also gives me the sense that this is something that will ‘evolve’, hopefully with a blog-of-the-book building on what the bound copy captures.

Kudos, as ever.

5. Maru del Campoon 26 Sep 2008 at 10:13 am

Hi Nancy!

The title you have chosen is lovely, enticing. Congratulations!
    It certainly be a very good reading.
    I created a community to foster digital literacy in Mexico and I am sure I could improve it by reading it. Whenever you have time feel free to visit.

Love: Maru

6. […] had tweeted that I was going to make this cake in celebration of our finally naming “the book,” and I was amazed how many people wanted the recipe. I kept sending the recipe  url to […]

7. Shawn Callahanon 30 Sep 2008 at 1:30 pm

One of the reasons why I really like this title is because I can see it entering our common lexicon. “So what digital habits are displaying?” “You have to get your digital habits right.” etc. Nice one guys.

8. Mark Hurston 01 Oct 2008 at 9:30 am

I like the sci-fi reference, whereby a “habitat” is an synthetic intelligent structure within which people live in space, for instance a space station or the inside of an asteroid. “Digital habitat” conjures up a self-organised structure where people hang out, but also provides them with knowledge, entertainment and eventually more sophisticated forms of digital sustenance…