Mar 29 2011

Goodbye Sweet Dad

Published by at 3:36 pm under culture of love

William (Bill) A. Wright

Born January 26, 1929 in San Leandro, CA; died peacefully March 24, 2011 after a short illness. Survived by Dolores, his loving wife of 58 years; his children, Randy Wright (Linda), Mary Frances Wright (Lee Bartholomew), and Nancy White (Larry); his grandchildren, Christopher (JennyLee Lieseke), Alexander, John, Ayala, and Caleb; his great-granddaughter, Staley; and his brother, James Wright (Bev).

I was thrilled when Mom and Dad moved to Seattle in 2009. They were geographically close to my family for the first time since I left home to go to college. My kids and my grandbaby could have them in their lives. All of us…

Dad really became an honorary Seattleite upon moving to the Mirabella community. He learned the transit system. He visited sites all around the city and made friends with every person he met at Mirabella. His warmth and friendliness endeared him to everyone. It has been a great comfort to see the Mirabellians rallying around Mom and sharing how much they loved and appreciated Dad.

Funeral Mass will celebrated Monday, April 4th at 10 AM at St. Josephs Catholic Church, 732 18th Ave E, Seattle, 98112.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Project Linus San Jose Chapter, 11061 S. Stelling Rd, Cupertino, CA 95014. Please note on any checks that this is in honor of Bill Wright.

Thanks.

26 Responses to “Goodbye Sweet Dad”

1. Andre Blackmanon 29 Mar 2011 at 3:43 pm

Deepest condolences, Nancy. Thanks for sharing this glimpse into the life of a great person.

2. Doris & Bentleyon 29 Mar 2011 at 3:53 pm

Dear Nancy,

Bentley and I are so sorry for your family’s loss. Please know that you will be in our thoughts. We enjoyed seeing the pictures of your Dad at different times in his life. He projects a gentle, humorous countenance. I am sure that his sphere of influence was very broad and deep and constructive, much like his daughter, Nancy, whom we know, respect, and adore. Thank you for bringing us into your circle.

Doris

3. steve crandallon 29 Mar 2011 at 4:06 pm

Oh Nancy, I’m so sorry about your loss:(

4. Barry Dahlon 29 Mar 2011 at 4:34 pm

So sorry for your loss Nancy. Cherish your memories, always.

5. Keith De La Rueon 29 Mar 2011 at 5:14 pm

Nancy –

Please accept my sympathy in this time of loss. All the best to you and family as you both share your grief, and celebrate a life.

Look forward to catching up with you when you are next able to make it over here.

– Keith

6. Tim Van Valkenburgon 29 Mar 2011 at 5:36 pm

Nancy,

So sorry for your loss.

7. Jack Vinsonon 29 Mar 2011 at 5:59 pm

My condolences, Nancy. I love the photo montage of him, and I hope you and the family cherish fond memories of your father.

8. Jo Murrayon 29 Mar 2011 at 6:27 pm

Ahhh Sweet William…thank you for opening your heart Nancy. Healing waves coming your way.

9. Luis Suarezon 29 Mar 2011 at 6:41 pm

Dear Nancy, what a beautiful post! By the much love and care you have put into it, I am sure all of your memories, and those of your family, about your dad will be remembered for a long while! Treasure and cherish them dearly! I surely agree with Jack about how wonderful the photo montage about him is. A great sign of true love and affection that will last for a long long time!

My deepest condolences, Nancy, to you and your loved ones! Time to rejoice on what he has left behind and treasure those precious moments! Hang in there! Please *do* let us know if there is anything that we can do to help out, even if remote! 🙂

Take good care of your yourself and of your loved family!

10. Beth Kanteron 29 Mar 2011 at 10:18 pm

I have tears in my eyes reading this post and want to send you some virtual hugs. I feel for your loss.

I met your Dad back in 2006 when he picked me up from the airport in SJ when I stayed at your place for BlogHer. He was so sweet to do that – he gave me a little tour of SJ. I also remember that we borrowed their car to attend the evening event. Give a special hug to your Mom too.

11. virginia Yonkerson 30 Mar 2011 at 5:51 am

There is nothing worse, at any age, in loosing a parent. My heart goes out to you.

12. Elmi Besteron 30 Mar 2011 at 9:02 am

Deepest condolences Nancy, and to your family.

13. Paton 30 Mar 2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope the good memories will help you get through the tough times.

14. Bob Perryon 30 Mar 2011 at 5:12 pm

Nancy – you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry for your loss.

15. Elisa Camahort Pageon 30 Mar 2011 at 9:16 pm

nancy, I’m so sorry for your loss 🙁

16. Frankie Forsython 30 Mar 2011 at 9:42 pm

Big hugs Nancy, thinking of you and your family. Thank you for sharing the warmth and love you have for him. Though he is no longer with you in person, those beautiful memories keep him close.

17. Bev Ransomon 30 Mar 2011 at 10:36 pm

Dear Nancy,
    I recognize the warm, joyful smile that you obviously share with your dad. What a gift.

Hugs to you and your family,

Bev

18. Bev Wrighton 30 Mar 2011 at 11:08 pm

Dear Nancy,

We love the piece you put together for your Dad. It was perfect as he was such a sweet man. He was a sweet teenager when I first met him, and he seemed to radiate
    kindness and consideration for everyone all his life. He was a “love”.

Jim and I hate to miss his service, but the doctor told me today that it would not be wise for Jim to make the trip.

We are worried about his hip being so stiff, and the Prostate doctor thinks it is too soon from that operation.

We will be there with you, Delores, and all the family in spirit.

Much love, Aunt Bev

19. Shelly Duer Landauon 31 Mar 2011 at 12:42 am

Hi, Nancy… This is Shelly from Pennsylvania. I am so sorry to hear about your father’s passing. He was such a wonderful man. I am convinced that I would have packed up and left Pennsylvania had it not been for your mom and dad. They were my “rock” when I knew no one. Your dad and I worked side-by-side at Westinghouse. He was the kind, gentle mentor that a 22-year old needed most. He was a wonderful man. I love seeing his pictures that you posted. Thanks so much for doing that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom, your brother and sister.

20. Dan McFaddenon 31 Mar 2011 at 11:43 am

Nancy:
    I didn’t know your father…but knowing one of the children he raised and influenced, I can only assume he’s one heck of a guy. My thoughts are with you.

Dan

21. josien kapmaon 02 Apr 2011 at 4:55 am

What a heart touching tribute to him Nancy. I love the photos and I see his face in yours. My condolances.

22. Susieon 02 Apr 2011 at 8:42 am

Dear Nancy,

Deepest condolences to you and your family. You’ve made such a wonderful website for your dad. So sorry for your loss.

Susie & Leo

23. Barbaraon 04 Apr 2011 at 8:34 am

I’m thinking of you, Nancy, as you and your family journey through this time of loss and finding your dad in new ways through memory. Big hugs to you from Vermont. xoxoxo

24. Nancy Whiteon 05 Apr 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for your warmth, prayers, hugs and beams. It means a LOT to me (see my latest post!)

25. Haleemahon 15 Jun 2011 at 7:27 pm

Wow! What a great story of love for your father and community. Students are excellent supports when we speak the truth.

26. […] @Cogdog, has been going through these past days after the death of his mom. Having lost my dad in March, I know the role that food, and  the generosity of our communities and networks play  in the path […]