Nov 18 2012

Academic Portfolios & Badges – Want to think together?

Published by at 4:58 pm under collaboration,reflection

I’ve had a long association with the Agricultural Sustainability Institute at the University of Davis and I get the opportunity to lend a hand here and there on projects. The latest in the MacArthur Foundation funded  Digital Portfolio/Badges project that Joanna Normoyle is working on for the new Sustainable Agriculture major. The problem is this: I don’t really know much about this sort of thing. I’ve been a long time skeptic about badges, but Joanna sucked me in by asking about how we can build more reflective practices into the system and that, my friends, excites me.

So the next thing I thought was — I need to tap my network! I sent out a tweet and pretty soon some terrific people responded. Of course, this was also when I was crazy busy so I decided instead of tweeting back, I’d start this blog post with an offer. How about it @soletelee,  @openbadges, @lbraun2000@emgollie @eknight , @kwerb, @pblhq, @dlnorman, @carlacasilli from Mozilla,  @donpresant,  @VennLibrarian and @dajbelshaw (“the badge guy for Mozilla Foundation.”) Care to jump into a little peer assist?

Joanna and I wonder if you’d like to find 30-60 minutes for a Google+ Hangout where Joanna can show you the thinking so far and just get some feedback. Are you game? If yes, leave a comment here. Joanna and I will try and find some time in the next ten days.

Update: Meeting time fixed!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for filling out the doodle. It looks like tomorrow, 11/27, 11:30-12:15 PST will work well.

Here’s the meeting link and talk soon!

Joanna

1. Please join my meeting, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM PST.

2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) – a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (805) 309-0027
Access Code: 357-610-317
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

Meeting ID: 357-610-317

Be Sociable, Share!

16 Responses to “Academic Portfolios & Badges – Want to think together?”

1. Linda W. Braunon 18 Nov 2012 at 5:45 pm

I’m up for it. Just let me know when, etc. I’ve spent the last six months thinking about badges, badge community, and badge earner assessments for the YALSA badges project.

2. Doug Belshawon 19 Nov 2012 at 1:33 am

Yep, definitely up for this – just let me know where and when and if I can make it (I’m travelling a fair bit) I’ll definitely be there!

3. Don Presanton 19 Nov 2012 at 5:06 am

Happy to help if I can. My main focus is adults in transition.

Badges are coming soon to Mahara eportfolio, my favourite development tool.

I’d be particularly interested in the parts of this that relate to Recognition of Prior Learning – ways to demonstrate and recognize learning, especially in an eportfolio.

4. Carla Casillion 19 Nov 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hey Nancy,

Love to. Just let me know when. Also, hey all the people I know on this list. :)

Carla

5. Scott Mooreon 19 Nov 2012 at 12:56 pm

Consider contacting Randy Farmer, one of the authors of a book on creating online reputation systems. He would likely have a lot to say about making sure the badges actually reflect what you want to reward and not accidentally reward something else.

Similarly, Marc Smith is developing badging ideas using some network analysis mojo, I’m not going to pretend to fully understand yet.

6. Emily Goligoskion 19 Nov 2012 at 4:21 pm

Of course! Please let us know when you’re thinking.

7. Nancy Whiteon 19 Nov 2012 at 5:16 pm

Fabulous! Joanna will post some ideas about when. Scott, I’ll loop Randy and Marc in in the next go round, as we want to talk about the community and networked aspects once we get some of the initial stuff figured out.

And I want to repeat my disclaimer. I play the role of the “dumb questioner” here! Learning more every day and erasing some of my skepticism. ;-)

Thanks all!

8. Joanna Normoyleon 19 Nov 2012 at 6:28 pm

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your willingness to play ball!

I’ve created a doodle: http://doodle.com/7awex9xu3pkkq8gd#table

If you have 45 minutes to spare any time Monday 1-2:30pm or Tuesday 11am-2pm PT, I’d love to run a few ideas by you and hear some feedback.

It will be a GoTo Meeting and I’ll provide the link once we determine a good time to meet.

Thanks again!

Joanna

9. Joanna Normoyleon 21 Nov 2012 at 10:28 am

@soletelee, @openbadges, @lbraun2000, @emgollie @eknight , @kwerb, @pblhq, @dlnorman, @carlacasilli from Mozilla, @donpresant, @VennLibrarian and @dajbelshaw,

We’d love to hear from you next Monday or Tuesday if you have a little time. See my previous post for a doodle link so we can get something on the books. Happy Thanksgiving!

10. Stephen Loweon 23 Nov 2012 at 1:12 am

Keen to engage. I studied recently under Kevin Werbach on his course Gamification. I am currently working on an industry training project where team competition, points, a badge, and explicit progress feedback are integral to the design.

11. Nancy Whiteon 24 Nov 2012 at 8:34 am

Great, Stephen. And for all who wondered, the times on the Doodle poll are PST. Right now the Tuesday times are looking stronger http://doodle.com/7awex9xu3pkkq8gd#table

12. Joanna Normoyleon 26 Nov 2012 at 10:23 am

Hi Everyone,

Here’s the meeting link and talk soon!

Joanna

1. Please join my meeting, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM PST.

Dial +1 (805) 309-0027
    Access Code: 357-610-317
    Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

Meeting ID: 357-610-317

GoToMeeting®
    Online Meetings Made Easy®

13. Emily Goligoskion 26 Nov 2012 at 10:55 am

Nancy,

The Open Badges team has a conflict until 12 PST but we’ll jump on for the last bit. Thanks and apologies!

Best,
    Emily

14. Nancy Whiteon 26 Nov 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks, Emily. We’ll stay on the line a bit longer if that means we can have you join us!

15. Scott Johnsonon 27 Nov 2012 at 10:24 am

Sorry for the last minute notice. This looks related: http://www.stevehargadon.com/

From the site: >Join me Tuesday, November 27th, for a one-hour live and interactive FutureofEducation.com interview with author and self-acknowledged autodidact Charles D. Hayes. … his books Self University (published in 1989) and Proving You’re Qualified: Strategies for Competent People Without College Degrees (1995). … particularly interested in the topics of self-education, life-long learning, and accreditation and how they are changing because of the Web, and he agreed to an interview, but insisted (smile) that we also discuss his newest book, September University: Summoning Passion for an Unfinished Life.<

16. Nancy Whiteon 27 Nov 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thanks, Scott. Yup, Steve has been having some really interesting guests about things related badges! Thanks

The call today was great. We’ll be sharing the recording for those who want to chime in asynchronously. Thanks again, everyone! It is a delight to learn together!