Ah Seth, we know the troll of which you speaketh in your blog post, Seth’s Blog: A field guide to the Meeting Troll.
In response, here are the people I want to invite into the circle. (See, I even avoided the word “meeting” as we have so many coded “dirty words!”)
Come into the circle with me.
- You are curious. “Not knowing” is an asset, not a deficit. You ask AMAZING questions.
- You are playful. Risk taking is in your repertoire.
- You love creating opportunity for yourself and others. Love is an operational word here…
- You love solving wicked problems… I can see the glee on your face.
- You bring and SHARE your chocolate (oranges, carrot sticks, croissants, coffee, etc.)
- You create space, not only fill it.When you occupy space, it is always with genuine presence and contribution.
- You don’t hide behind your words. Or your positional power.
- You explain your acronyms (this is important to me– I work in international development!)
- Failure is a learning opportunity for you. You help me mine the learning from my failures. You seek multiple perspectives to learn from your failures.
- You discern when something is simple and when it is complex and act accordingly. This includes knowing when to STOP doing something.
- You are not fearless, but you do not shy away from fear.
- You trust me. I trust you. We know how to honor and forgive.